Brunel by the launching chains of the SS Great Eastern in 1857.
Sir Henry William Stisted
Muskoka Post Staff
Who exactly are Muskoka’s Historic Townships named after. Below we have compiled a list of a few of the regions towns and who was influential in their establishment over a 100 years ago.
Named for Viscount Cardwell, Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1864 to 1866.
Named for a brother-in-law of Hon. Stephen Richards, Benjamin Chaffey, a Brockville contractor who helped build the St. Lawrence canals.
Named for Mrs. Medora Cameron, wife of a Toronto lawyer. She was also a niece of Hon. Stephen Richards, Commissioner of Crown Lands, hence the honour she received.
Named for Angus Morrison who represented the North riding of Simcoe County from 1854 to 1863. Morrison was also a director of the old Northern Railway of Canada, Muskoka's pioneer railway, the terminus of which was Gravenhurst. Morrison was also Mayor of Toronto from 1876 to 1878.
The township, district and lake are named for Musquakie, one of the principal Chiefs of the Chippawa Nation. In 1815 he signed the treaty under which the Indian title to a vast territory was surrendered to the Crown. The name means "Red Ground.”
Named for Major General Henry William Stisted, Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario from Confederation, July 1, 1867 to 1868.
Named for James Watt of steam engine fame.
With files from Wikipedia