Muskoka Post Staff
Clevelands House was built by Charles James Minett who took the government up on its free land grant in 1869.
The house was originally called Cleeve Land after the name of the village Cleeve in England where he had come from.
When the hotel was having its first register printed the name was misspelled and has been called Clevelands House ever since. The resort has been expanded and renovated over the years but still holds its traditional Muskoka charm today.
With files from Visit Muskoka