Subscribe to Muskoka Post and our content will make its way directly to your inbox.
Muskoka Post Staff
Harm reduction is about keeping people safe without judgement. The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) has developed a Needle Exchange Program, which provides supplies free of charge and no identifying information is requested. The equipment can be accessed at all SMDHU locations, and various community partner agencies.
The services provided by the SMDHU includes:
• Injection kits, including new needles, spoons (cookers), alcohol swabs, sterile water, tourniquets, and when requested, vitamin C.
• Safe smoking kits, including glass stems or bowl pipes, screens, and mouth pieces.
• Sharps containers for the safe disposal of used needles, stems, pipes and other substances and equipment.
• Information about safer substance use and community supports.
For the nearest Needle Exchange Program in the South Simcoe area, please contact:
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, 25 King Street South, Suite 2, Cookstown.
• CONTACT Community Services, 39 Victoria Street East, Alliston.
• Alliston Family Pharmacy, 180 Parson Road, Unit #34, Alliston.
• Bradford Drug Mart, 54 Holland Street West, Bradford.
Call the SMDHU at 705-721-7520 or toll-free at 1-877-721-7520 and ask to speak with a Nurse about Harm Reduction or Needle Exchange. For information on the Simcoe Muskoka Opioid Strategy, visit http://preventod.ca.